Your FIRST Response to Alleged Child Maltreatment
Protecting children from child abuse and maltreatment requires that everyone understand how to recognize, respond and report any form of maltreatment a child may experience. FIRST response is often the single most important step in effectively responding and reporting maltreatment.
FIRST will give you and your community the tools necessary to better protect kids. This half-day training goes beyond recognizing types of maltreatment. The training combines both lecture and practicum giving participants the tools and practical skills to better communicate with a child during the initial outcry of maltreatment.
The FIRST process teaches three critical components:
- How to recognize signs and symptoms of abuse and maltreatment
- How to listen and respond to a child’s needs
- How to effectively and accurately report any form of maltreatment to authorities
Your FIRST Response to Child Maltreatment training teaches participants how to listen to children who have experienced maltreatment and gather the correct information needed in a way that puts the child’s needs FIRST.
- Understand reality of child abuse
- Understand how to gather information utilizing the FIRST process
- Understand responsibility of mandated reporting and information needed for report